You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind... You shall love your neighbour as yourself... On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Christian ethics is a way of thinking about human character and conduct, in the light of what we know about God's character and conduct - revealed above all in Jesus Christ.
As we are transformed through Christ-centred fellowship, teaching, worship and prayer, so change finds its expression in the way we live and work.
Ethics for ministry
At Ridley we believe Ethics is a core component in training the men and women who will serve in the Church. It is relevant to all areas of our ministry as Christian leaders:
- shaping our own behaviour and lifestyle
- strengthening our preaching and teaching
- enabling us to help people to be faithful disciples
- equipping us to more confidently help people in pastoral crises
- preparing us to speak out intelligently and courageously on public issues
- helping us to better explain and defend our faith (Christian apologetics)
Studying Ethics at Ridley involves drawing on the Bible, Christian tradition, careful reasoning and our past and present experience. Ethics covers the whole of life. It is both theoretical and practical, straightforward and complex, deeply theological and potentially life-transforming.