Dr Michael Griffiths 1928–2022
Following the sad news of the passing of Michael Griffiths, who died at the age of 93 on 9th January 2022, we wanted to share a statement on behalf of his family, for all those who trained alongside him at Ridley Hall in the 1950s or knew him throughout his long life well lived. It was always a pleasure to welcome him back to the college at our annual alumni gatherings, which he attended up until the last one we held pre-pandemic.
It is with great sadness that we are writing to let you know that Mike Griffiths went to be with the Lord he served so faithfully on January 9thafter a series of medical setbacks. The family are very grateful for the messages of love and support we've already received. The knowledge of the positive impact he has made on so many lives through his remarkable life as a passionate leader, writer and advocate for global mission is a great comfort to us at this time.
A Thanksgiving service for Mike is planned in the Spring when we hope an improvement in COVID restrictions will enable more people to join with us in person or by livestream or recording to celebrate Mike’s life. If you would like to send a message to Valerie and family it would be appreciated if you could communicate via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, the family would love to see or hear any video or audio footage of Mike’s preaching and teaching, or indeed any anecdotes and memories of Mike you might have.
"An enthusiastic, visionary leader, Michael Griffiths had a remarkable and multi-faceted Christian ministry as a leader, teacher and writer. Above all else Michael was a passionate advocate for the church to take up her global mission to share the good news of Jesus Christ in all nations." From an obituary by OMF International
Mike’s family are exceedingly grateful for the grace and generosity of Millmead Baptist Church – Mike and Valerie’s home church and supporters spanning 6 decades! – in hosting a service of Thanksgiving for the life of Mike Griffiths at 3pm on Saturday March 26th 2022. We are looking forward to a special time of worship, thanksgiving, tributes and reflections on Mike’s life and ministry.
You are warmly invited to take part either in person or remotely. The family has provided the following information:
- In person
- The venue: Guildford Baptist Church, Millmead, Guildford, GU2 4BE
- It would help us immensely with planning and hospitality if you could please click here and register your attendance in advance; ideally as soon as possible to help us to gauge numbers on the day.
- Light refreshments will be served after the service and, for those who have made it in good time, a café will be open up to the start of the service.
- If arriving by car please be aware that parking around the church is limited and therefore aim to arrive in good time and plan your parking site in advance. Carparking is generally available within a 5 to 10 minute walk.
- Rail travel: There is an excellent rail service direct from London Waterloo station. Millmead is a 5 to 10 minute walk from the station.
A livestream is going up on the day beginning a few minutes before 3pm. You can access this:
- EITHER BY Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/GuildfordBaptist
- OR The Millmead Baptist Church homepage https://www.guildfordbaptist.org/ (Scroll down the homepage until you see the embedded livestream screen and then click the play button around 3pm. The page may need to be refreshed/ reloaded if you connect too early)
- A downloadable order of service will be available from the Millmead website when available and closer to the event.
Whether attending in person or remotely please do feel free to circulate these details as widely as possible.
There is much to celebrate and much to give thanks for in Mike’s life. He was many things to so many people had an enormous impact both personally and missionally.