The Ridley Chapel Buwalasi
In 1926 the new Diocese of the Upper Nile was created. It was clear that more school teachers and clergy were needed, and it was decided that a new Diocesan Training College should be built.
The Revd Edward Bull (Ridley 1927–29), who was the Principal of Nabumali High School in 1931, was designated as Principal of the new college. Around £8,000 was needed to pay for the college buildings as a whole, and money was raised both in England and in Africa.
Ridley Hall’s 50th Jubilee took place in 1929, and in 1930 Ridley decided to dedicate the proceeds of its Jubilee Fund to Buwalasi, aiming at raising a total of £5,000, which would pay for the building of the chapel and also fund the Principal’s salary.
A cheque for £3,600 was dedicated at a special service in Ridley Hall Chapel in Cambridge on Commemoration Day, 28th January, 1933. £2,500 was designated to be invested towards the salary of the Principal of Buwalasi and £1,000 towards the building of the chapel, plus £100 for its furnishing. By May that year the list of subscribers had over 320 names and had reached £3,800 with £1,000 promised in a will.
The opening of the College and the consecration of the Ridley Chapel by the Bishop of the Upper Nile, the Rt Revd Arthur Kitching (Ridley 1898–99) took place on 2nd March 1934.
The college is now a campus of Uganda Christian University. This summer (2013) Ridley ordinand Andy Tufnell is going to Uganda on parish placement, and will take copies a booklet on the Ridley Chapel, produced by Ridley Archives, to give to UCU. It is hoped this will renew and strengthen ties between Ridley and Uganda.