A brief history of Ridley Hall

Share this page


Named after the sixteenth-century martyr and Bishop of London Nicholas Ridley, Ridley Hall opened its doors in 1881 to train people eager to devote their lives to ordained ministry.

Under the leadership of the College’s first Principal, Handley Moule, the student body grew from an initial eight students to forty by the early 1900s. Ridley had become a thriving hub for ministry at home and around the world.

Photograph of plaques commemorating Ridleian missionaries
Plaques in the Chapel commemorate Ridleian missionaries

Early years

Many of the College’s early alumni exercised their calling in Anglican parishes throughout Britain. But remembrance plaques in Ridley's chapel commemorate the willingness of others to follow Jesus wherever he led, even to the ends of the earth. Ridley’s alumni played a considerable role in helping to build the Anglican Communion, and have significantly influenced the Church and its mission ever since.

Ridley today

Over the last century and a quarter Ridley has grown and changed, and we now prepare a diverse group of women and men of all ages to serve Christ in the Church through both lay and ordained ministry. We also offer a space for private study, spiritual renewal and refreshment to those taking a break from their careers or established ministries.